Cathay Pacific Credit Card
40,000 Asia Miles
$3,000 initial spend
($360 net value, .18/$)Signup Bonus Chart
2x Cathay Pacific Purchases
1.5x Any Purchase Outside of the United States
1x Everything Else
No Foreign Transaction Fee
The only reason most people would be interested in this card is the signup bonus. The bonus has the added benefit of coming from a less common bank. You can use your Cathay Pacific points for flights on American Airlines, any other Oneworld airline, or any of Cathay Pacific's other partners.
Collecting the Signup Bonus
- It may be worth getting this card just to collect the signup bonus.. The typical signup bonus is 40,000 miles. After subtracting the annual fee and the opportunity cost of using the card for $2,000 of spending, the calculated net value for the initial year is $360 (18 cents per dollar spent). Your value may be higher or lower, depending on how much you value Asia Miles.. How Much are Points Worth?. This isn't great, but the Cathay Pacific Card has the advantage of being issued by a bank that doesn't have a bunch of other interesting cards and isn't that stingy with approvals. So it is a great option once you're done earning more valuable offers.
- You can receive the signup bonus multiple times. After a year, you can cancel, wait a few weeks, and then reapply.
- Marco Polo Green status during the first year you have the card. This entitles you to free checked bags and priority boarding.
- 2 day head start on award ticket discounts. When Cathay Pacific runs promotions, you can book two days before the general public (along with elite members of the Marco Polo club).
- 10% discount on gift miles, mileage renewal fees, and mileage transfer fees.
- Access to the Visa Signature Luxury Hotel Collection. As with all Visa Signature cards, you'll get access to Visa's luxury hotel program. Whenever you book one of the 900+ participating hotels, you'll receive a set of valuable benefits, including free breakfast, late check-out, and a $25 food and beverage credit. The Visa program has slightly weaker benefits than the other luxury hotel programs, but includes a larger number of more affordable hotel options and a best price guarantee. Take Advantage of Luxury Hotel Programs for Valuable Extra Perks.
- Access to Visa Signature Offers. Your card entitles you to a set of special offers available from Visa.
- You are better off making your Cathay Pacific purchases with a card that earns a high reward for all your airfare purchases. 2x Cathay Pacific miles are more valuable than what you'd earn from most general-purpose reward cards, but not as good as what you'd earn from a card that earns high bonus rewards on airfare spending. For example, you are better off earning 2 or 3x Ultimate Rewards points, or 2x, 3x, or 5x Membership Rewards points, which can be turned into Cathay Pacific miles, but also have the flexibility to be used for other types of award redemptions. Best Credit Cards for Travel Spending.
- The 1.5x rewards on overseas purchases is probably not as valuable as just using your general-purpose card.
- There are better options for your restaurant purchases. 1.5x Cathay Pacific miles are maybe more valuable than what you would get from a good general-purpose reward card, but you can earn even more valuable rewards with other cards. Best Credit Cards for Restaurant Spending.
- You don't want to use this card for your everyday spending. You'll earn higher rewards from a good general-purpose reward card. Get a Great General Purpose Reward Card and Use It for All of Your Spending.
blog comments powered by Disqus